We believe in reducing waste, lessening our impact on the environment, both at work as well as at home.
Green dentistry is a high-tech approach that reduces the environmental impact of dental practices and encompasses a service model for dentistry that supports and maintains wellness. Our office uses the latest in digital x-ray technology. Digital x-rays offers a detailed image of your entire mouth and also offer up to 80% less radiation than traditional film x-rays. X-rays play an invaluable role in the diagnosis of dental problems, as well as provide a clear picture for a dentist to accurately diagnose and provide the necessary treatment. Together, green dental practices, green dental patients and companies offering green dental products are transforming the dental industry through adoption of the EDA’s green dentistry model. Reduces waste and pollution. You’d be surprised how much waste and pollution is generated by a single dental practice. Saves water, energy and money.
It’s time for every industry to conserve resources, and dentistry has an important role to play. Learn more.
- Steam sterilization techniques with cloth based pouches instead of plastic
- Solutions to minimize paper-plastic barriers while achieving excellent infection control
- Environmentally sound surface disinfectants without glutaraldehyde
- Green cleaning products
- Recycled content flooring and cabinetry with no VOCs
- Recycling and composting programs
- Recycled content office supplies
- Digital communications with patients whenever possible
- Digital patient records
- Digital Imaging technology
- Minimal use of disposable dental equipment
- CAD/CAM technology to produce dental work on premises and not ship around the world
- Amalgam separator technology to keep mercury out of local wastewater treatment facilities
- Dry vacuum system, saving 350-500 gal of water daily
- Energy efficient appliances and dental equipment
- Water efficient equipment and plumbing fixtures
- Use of waterless hand sanitizer
- Purchase of renewable energy credits
- Utilization of natural lighting
Many innovations on the leading edge of dental technology are also better for patients and the planet. A growing community of consumers seeks dental professionals who share their values of personal and planetary wellness.
Choosing a Green Dentist
Any dentist — including Downtown Concord Dental — could be a green dentist. Green dentists and those who are members of the Eco-Dentistry Association tend to rethink decisions about their office products, supplies and equipment, and choose environmentally sound options. They also strive to decrease the impact of their practice on the environment by using energy-efficient fluorescent lights, as well as low-flow faucets and toilets. When redecorating or painting the office, the paint selection will be one that contains no Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) and will decrease the amount of toxins in the air.
Dentists who have achieved the highest standards for maintaining a green dental practice can receive GreenDOC certification from the Eco-Dentist Association (EDA). Practices that are EDA GreenDOC certified at the Bronze, Silver or Gold level have incorporated products, equipment and techniques for clean, green dentistry, and have documented their efforts. These efforts could include switching from traditional X-rays to digital imaging; using non-toxic floor varnish; switching to digital patient communication and marketing programs; and using washable cloth materials whenever possible.
If you are interested in receiving your dental care from a dentist who maintains an eco-friendly practice, the Eco-Dentistry Association (EDA) website (www.ecodentistry.org) includes a link to a green dental practice locator. However, whichever dentist you select, be sure first and foremost that he or she has the necessary dental training and education to provide the treatments you need.
We are constantly trying to improve our sustainability and help to shift the field of dentistry in this direction. If you have any suggestions how we might be doing better please share them with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.